Logo:

ST PETER & ST PAUL'S CHURCH

Image:

WELCOME TO ST PETER & ST PAUL ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

In the heart of Newport Shropshire lies our beautiful c.185 year old church of St Peter & St Paul where all are welcome, from every denomination and walk of life.


The parish priest is Fr Anthony Wild (right) who is helped and aided by Deacon David (left).

Image:

...........................................................................................................................................................

Introduction to St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic Church.

The parish of St. Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic church covers Newport and the surrounding villages as far as Hinstock.  It has a long history dating back to the early 16th century when it was connected with the Catholic Talbot family of Longford Hall.  When Longford Hall was sold in 1789 the priest was provided with another residence by the Earl of Shrewsburythis was Salters Hall named after Judge Salter who was High Sheriff of Shropshire. Salters Hall is attached to the church. John Talbot, the 16th Earl of Shrewsbury, funded the building of the church.  The Parish of St Peter & St Paul is the oldest Catholic parish in Shropshire & was the home of the first Bishop (James Brown) from 1851 to 1868.  The church was designed in 'thin gothic design' by Joseph Potter, who also worked on Lichfield Cathedral.  It was built onto the house in 1832 & the old house absorbed into the present large building. 


Visitors will find the church contains many rich and beautiful 20th century stained glass windows designed & made by Margaret Rope. Two such windows each depict Saint Peter & St Paul, the church's patrons.

In the garden at the east end (front) of the church is the church war memorial to members of the chrurch's congregation who died in the First & Second World Wars.  The memorial consists of a figure of the crucified Christ crucifix.  In the gardens vistors will find a shrine to Our Lady of Fatima & the two youngest Saints (non martyred) within the Catholic Church, St Jacinta & St Lucia.  The shrine was rededicated to and duly blessed by Bishop Mark on 20th May 2017 (see our dedicated page for more information on the shrine).


(Below: Example of just one of the beautiful stained glass windows depicting St Peter, plus an interior photo of front 'Rose' window).

Image: Stained glass window

Image:

........................................................................................................................


Other pages:


This is the text-only version of this page. Click here to see this page with graphics.
Edit this page | Manage website
Make Your Own Website: 2-Minute-Website.com